Thursday, August 22, 2013

Gencon Report: Thoughts and Swag!

First of all, huge thanks to Templar for paying my hotel and flight to the convention. Without him I'd not have been able to go. ^_^
Second, the gallery of all of my con pictures is located here!

Gencon was freaking awesome. ^_^ It was my first year attending, but hopefully it won't be my last (with luck I'll have a better job soon and can save up for next year).
The best part had to have been meeting a bunch of my friends from online. Templar, April, and Mason being the top three. Putting faces to names is interesting enough, but getting to hang out with people is great... especially since I don't get to get out of the house nearly enough. :D
Second best is just being able to get out of the house and have a real, proper vacation. Going into it I didn't think I was going to be able to relax and put everything aside. Turns out, a day into the convention and I was able to actually relax and have fun, so woo!
Third was the shopping, because shopping is awesome and I managed to get a lot of neat stuff (mostly to do with Malifaux and Wyrd Miniatures).
Finally the panels, seminars and general game demos were a lot of fun. The seminars were insightful, especially the RPG Freelancing one. I spent a good deal of my time at the Wyrd Miniatures areas, watching or participating in demos. At least when I wasn't hanging around with friends. I have to admit, if I had more money and space I'd probably have grabbed Pupet Wars and Showdown, as they were a lot of fun as well. Well, Showdown was, Puppet Wars I need to try out some more, but the models looked like fun and I could use them for Malifaux. Jetpack Unicorn, being a party game, was interesting but not something I'd get much use out of right now.
The real game-demo winner for me though was Winter Tales. I will likely do a longer review of my thoughts on the demo, but suffice to say it was awesome. So awesome, in fact, that if they had it available to purchase there I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. Sadly, they did not. Still, I'm totally going to get it as soon as I can (the FFG release. I'm still debating if I want to order the Italian version or not. It DOES have bilingual rules...).

This.

This is awesome.


The downside of the convention has been that I brought home the Con Plague and spent the last couple of days sleeping most of my hours away. XD

Now, onto the swag! Sweet, sweet swag. :D I did pretty well, methinks!
I bought:
 1x Malifaux Second Edition Rulebook
1x Tara, Herald of Obliteration Box (Malifaux)
1x Lady Justice, new box (Malifaux)
1x Fancy Convention Fate Deck (Malifaux)
2x Arsenal Decks, Neverborn and Arcanists (Malifaux)
1x Rasputina, new box (Malifaux, for a friend)
1x Evil Baby Orphanage + Expansion
1x Candy & Cola (Relic Knights Exclusive)
3x Nyan Nyan (SDE Exclusives, one for a friend)
1x Shadowrun 5e (for a friend)
1x Shadowrun Patch (for a friend)
1x Shadowrun Poster (for a friend)

Technically got for free!
1x Viktorias, new box (Malifaux, costume contest voucher)
1x Lady Justice, new box (Malifaux, for a friend, costume contest voucher)
1x Beckoners box (Malifaux, costume contest voucher)
1x Hanging Tree Box (Malifaux, Achievement League prize)
1x Rotten Belle box (Malifaux, Achievement League prize)
1x Witchling Stalker promo (Malifaux, from Templar)

No comments:

Post a Comment