Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Gencon Report: Day 2 (Friday)

Friday began as any other day begins; by waking up, taking a shower, doing my hair and putting on makeup! In this case though, my hair required two tubes of washable blue hair dye and my makeup consisted of black and blue facepaint! Yes, dear readers, I did some cosplaying on Friday!
You see, the Malifaux Achievement League that I had signed up for had an Achievement worth 10 points, to dress up as a Malifaux character! Ten points was a lot, so when the achievement information went live I realized I had to try for it. Unfortunately, with only a week until I left and limited funds (if I wanted money to buy swag at the con itself) my options were... limited. Enter the Death Marshals, with their trenchcoats and guns and hats... but I didn't have a hat, and googling the prices of them was a little extreme, boo... But wait! Second Edition brings with it a new set of Death Marshals with the option of having skulls with blue flames! I can do that! Maybe!
Thus, I dressed up as a M2E Death Marshal, using blue hair dye and lots of hair spray to make my hair look vaguely like wisps of ethereal blue flame... I'm pretty sure if someone struck a match within a meter of me then the head flames wouldn't have been fake. :3 Face paint was then used to give the impression that my face was a black skull with blue glow.
While I was getting ready, Masons topped by dressed up in his own costume (McMourning, also from Malifaux). Once dressed, we escaped the hotel and went back to the convention and to the various halls! Mason being Mason went to troll the AEG people some, while I went to buy more stuff in the Dealer's hall, as was the style at the time... Also because I had gotten paid, so woo!
First stop was Cool Mini or Not to get the Nyan Nyans I needed... But no, the shipment hadn't arrived yet! They claimed that the truck would be there around 3 and to come back, and that there would be enough for everybody. So I went to the Catalyst Labs booth next to grab the Shadowrun 5th book for another friend, as well as a poster and a patch. Friend's purchase completed, it was back to the Wyrd Booth, because I had more stuff I wished to grab!

There were no Nyan Nyans, but there were cosplay girls!

Purchases in hand, I left the hall to sit down and wait for April (who was dressed as Kirai from Malifaux) before we went to find and troll Mason, as you do. Unfortunately for us, Mason had wandered around, making finding him difficult! Clearly he had spies. Eventually we found him and another friend playing Malifaux. We then headed back to the Wyrd Booth to sign up for the costume contest. Afterwards we hung out for a while and played a game of Cthulhu Fluxx before everyone had to run off to their own panels. For me, this meant going to a seminar on RPG Freelancing... also an adventure!
The seminar was in another hotel, and the path to the hotel was... Interesting. I had to go up stairs, down stairs and through a skybridge. Unfortunately, due to the way the path was set up, I ended up going through the hotel I needed to be (I couldn't find any elevators, and the stairs were down for maintenance) and into an entirely different one! Eventually, however, I made it to the seminar room with time to spare, which was awesome. :)

This path doesn't look ominous. Not at all.

The seminar was very informative, I even managed to record it all on my phone. There was the added bonus that all three of the panelists had worked on Through The Breach and recognized my costume. :D
After the seminar it was back to the vendor's hall to get my copies of Nyan Nyan (one for me, one for a friend). The models still hadn't arrived, but the truck was on its way, so I got in line with the others. It ended up being a 30+ minute line, but I bought three copies of the model, muahahahahahaha!
Then it was off to meet with April and Nick and hunt down some lunch. We decided on Subway, but Google Maps lead us a few miles off course to find a Subway... We later remembered that not only was there one closer, but there was ALSO one in the nearby mall. Still, it was an adventure. A painful, hot adventure in a very heavy duster... Yeah, by the time we got back to the hotel I was drenched in sweat and filled with pain, so the decision was made to say "fuck it" and take a shower and get changed... but fist I touched up my makeup a bit so I could get a picture of my costume!

We did see this during the lunch-hunt though.

Shower completed, I went with Templar and his brother to TGIFridays, which was tasty and a nice, relaxing break from wandering around the area. Overstuffed with food, I really wanted to just get a nap in, but no, I hung otu for a bit and eventually had to run to meet up with April, and Mason to go to a rope bondage class in another hotel. Sadly, as it would turn out, this was not to be.
We arrived at the hotel and were told that we would need our IDs and, more importantly, that the ropes for the class hadn't come in. This meant that we'd need to return the loaner ropes, but there would be no partial refunds (the tickets were 10$ a piece). As one of our group had forgottn their ID and it seemed like it wouldn't be as interesting as we thought... We went back to the convention center and met up with Nick to play some Small World, which was probably more fun than the bondage class would have been. :)

There was also this, which is pretty awesome.

Afterwards, it was time for much needed sleep again.
Also, at some point during the day, Nick and I wandered about and played a really awesome game called Winter Tales. I will likely be doing a longer post on it later.

2 comments:

  1. oh, nice booth babes/cosplayers there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ You'll be happy to know that the girl on the left with short hair is Canadian. French Canadian, but still Canadian! :3

      Delete